Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Losing a Friend

I really don't know what to say. I have lost a good friend this past week. I was notified late Thursday night/early Friday morning that my friend Sean passed away. He was like a brother to me.

There are many memories that immediately come to mind. Sean had a particular quality about him that if he wanted the attention of his kids, there was a shrill whistle that he could put out. I got to the point where I could do that. Although not as good, my kids and I were at the Fresno State bowling alley and when I wanted to get their attention that it was time to leave, I spotted my son across the room. Although calling his name wasn't effective in getting his attention, I let loose with a whistle and he looked up and in my general direction. This has worked in several occasions. Another time, my son had moved to a new apartment complex. Although I knew the general location of his apartment, I still could not find it. Let out "the whistle" and pretty soon he stuck his head out the window, letting me know where he was located.

Sean and I were developing a knack for geocaching and would take opportunities to find caches around the area, even if it was just for an afternoon. As a matter of fact, if you look in his planner, I believe there's a question mark for this upcoming 3/15 weekend for us to go out and geocache a bit.

Sean sponsored me in Walk to Emmaus, an organization of Brothers in Christ that has not only tested me in my Christian walk, but supported and mentored me along the way of my Christian walk. Sean was my accountability partner in life. Sean was supposed to be Song Boss this past weekend. As a matter of fact, when he sponsored me, he gave the same talk that I gave this past weekend.

Sean, you will be missed, but I know (and we all should know) you are in a better place now free of pain and the trials you have faced over the last couple of years. You will be sorely missed and I, too, will see you some day. You're up there now, asking all the questions and getting the answers.

No comments: